At Iveagh Primary School homework is set for a variety of reasons, the main one being it allows practice and consolidation of work done or skills developed in class. Furthermore it is an opportunity to involve you in your child's studies.
The homework will be varied and may include reading, spellings (from P2) and tables.
Written homework is usually included twice a week for the younger children, 3 times a week in P4 and 4 times a week from P5.
It is the school policy that homework is set each night from Monday to Thursday although this may be relaxed on occasions such as school functions.
Class tests usually take place on Fridays and Thursday's homework may entail a revision element.
HOMEWORK GUIDE FOR PARENTS
What can parents do to help?
- Written homework should be signed.
- Create a homework routine - choose a time when your child is not tired.
- Provide a quiet undisturbed area.
- Homework should be the child's own work. However please ensure the child is presenting his/her best work. Encourage him/her to correct own mistakes.
- When listening to reading encourage your child to sound the first letter(s) and ending of difficult words and read on to the end of the sentence to help decipher unfamiliar words.
- Ask spellings in random order and revise the meanings.
- Encourage your child to construct interesting and varied sentences.
- In general homework should not exceed 20 minutes in P1 - P2 and 30 minutes in P3 - P4 and 45 minutes in P5 - P7.
- All homeworks are explained thoroughly by the class teacher before being set. However, if for any reason a child becomes "stuck", you should simply sign the homework to signify that the child has attempted it and the teacher can give further assistance in the morning. We do not want homework to be a painful exercise for you or your child.
- Please feel free to communicate with the teacher concerning homework. A little note in the homework diary can be very helpful to the teacher. If in doubt about any aspect please ASK.
- Please sign the reading diary and comment when appropriate.